Making the decision to start exercising is often times the easiest part of the process. It can be difficult to know where to begin and how to progress your workouts in order to meet your goals.
Whatever stage of your health and fitness regime you’re at, these tips will help you to boost your energy levels and maximise your performance.
- To ensure you’re performing at your best, make sure you’re fuelling your workouts correctly. If you eat before working out, make sure you do so at least two hours before, and try to opt for a complex carbohydrate like wholemeal bread or fruit that is easy to digest.
- If you’re working out to meet a specific goal or take part in a sporting challenge, make sure you incorporate rest days into your workout schedule. When you do a vigorous-intensity aerobic activity, such as running, the body repairs and strengthens itself between workouts, and over-training can weaken even the strongest athletes and can even contribute to injury.
- To remain motivated make sure your exercise regime includes activities that you like doing rather than what someone else tells you to do. You could also try working out with a friend so that you can keep each other motivated. Set new challenges to keep your workouts varied and if it’s hard at first, it will get easier, that’s a promise!
- Monitoring hydration before, during and after exercise is essential to make sure that hydration and performance levels do not dip. If you have increased your training, it is likely that your muscle mass will increase and, as a result, your hydration needs may change. So make sure you monitor your hydration levels consistently over time to ensure you perform at your best!
- Enjoy yourself! Make sure you work out to music that you enjoy, and even wear fitness apparel and footwear that you feel great in. These simple changes can make you feel more motivated to exercise.
- Use the Tanita body composition monitor and pedometer ranges to help monitor your progress. Our pedometers are ideal for those looking to kickstart a fitness regime, and our body composition monitors will help you analyse the changes that your body makes throughout your training programme.
So as winter merges into spring, make sure you’re performing at your best with these top tips to help boost your health and fitness levels.